Mobile Adsense

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Beautiful Simplicity


A short post to begin this thing:

My wife and I have recently chosen to dive into a more healthy style of living. The funny thing about it is that as I live a healthier lifestyle and see that certain things are better and worse for me, I have come to a point where I appreciate the finer things in life.

Some people may consider this spoiled, however I'm not speaking that I want to spend a lot of money on anything, I simply prefer to get back to the roots of what our country was founded on. We used to be a people that had pride in a hand crafted tool or would take passion in a master craft. Nowadays it seems that everyone is simply pushing to have the quickest substitution that comes close or is similar.

Here are some recent endeavors that I have been on:

1)Weight Loss
I have done a lot of research to discover that for the most part foods that are pre-packaged simply do not contain the necessary nutrients for your body and if they do most of them are simply fortified in a way that the nutrients pass directly through you. I have refined my diet to consist of primarily proteins with a specific agenda to keep them higher than the carbohydrate count (regardless of fast/slow). Additionally I am keeping the calorie count to around 1300 per day, which in some cases means adjusting my proportions and sometimes simply making wiser decisions (Maybe that brownie that is free on Sunday morning - true story - isn't worth the carbs and sugar).
            Simple Observations:
            1)The object of eating is NOT to get full. It is to subside hunger and provide energy
            2)You should enjoy what you eat - regardless of diet
            3)Low Fat is another word for high-carb or high-sugar (which both turn to fat anyway)
            4)The closer you get to natural and whole foods the more nutrients and benefits you find
            5)Exercising makes me feel more confident and feel an overall higher satisfaction with life
            6)Green Tea has a really grassy taste and there are better teas - replace with a White or Oolong Tea

      What I Do:
      1) Eat less than 1300 Calories/Day (Don't just assume a number will work - see a doctor)
      2) High Protein/Low Carb (This is a recipe for losing weight, not bulking up)
      3) Work out 4-6 times a week (Generally Cardio such as the Treadmill for 2 miles and a light weight training)
      4) Eat natural foods more (I.E. Chicken, Un-cooked Spinach, Tuna, Eggs, Bacon, Yogurt, etc.)
      5) Supplement with natural benefits (Drinking White/Green tea -Antioxidants/Free Radicals, Edamame-Omega 3, etc.)

2)Shaving
We were walking around the Mall of America with some friends when our friends decided to stop in to The Art of Shaving. I had seen the store before and the thought of an old-fashioned shave is enticing to most men that I know. That said, we went in there and I had used some samples of their product previously. Those samples caused me to do some research myself and found that there is a whole subculture to shaving and several people who do this themselves. Naturally it peaked my interest.
            Simple Observations:
            1)Starting to shave the old-fashioned way is not cheap
            2)The products used for a full shave are far superior to what is found at a normal retailer
            3)Shaving with better product produces a better shave
            4)Having a better shave and using the process for some reason makes a man feel manlier
            5)Many people over charge for high end product - DO YOUR SHOPPING
            6)The highest quality product is still made old school - by hand.

       What I do:
       1) I am starting to shave twice a week (I barely grow facial hair)
       2) I follow the four steps outlined by The Art of Shaving (Truefitt & Hill and Many other companies agree)
       3) I use a mug to lather my cream (Lather on the face isn't as warm and in your hand is messy)
       4) I shave once with the grain and once against, lathering between (Thrice is simply too much for my skin)

Of all the observations I am noticing that most of all I appreciate more the hand craftedness of many of the materials I am using. As I pursue a life that is closer to His calling, I also find myself seeking out more purity and naturalism in the objects that surround me. They give me a feeling that I am somehow more clean and that I am closer to the world as it was originally created to be. In a fallen world where everything seems to be pushing more and more to the quick substitute and to the easy fix it is very refreshing to know that the place my God made for me is still here and we can still enjoy his creations.

1 comment: