Mobile Adsense

Monday, May 11, 2015

My many many mothers

Whether you are Sue or Starr from church growing up, Shelly from the boys home, Lois and Angie from therapy, Debbie my foster mom, Robin from family therapy, Mary my mother in law, Marlene who worked with me at the grocery store, my wife, Jodi who herself had several foster kids, Mrs. Peik my guardian et lietem, Pastor Lisa, Sandy my childhood best friend's mom, or even just the random hand on the shoulder you are still a mother.

I have been a lot of places in my life and met a lot of people. I have seen very fantastic scenes in Times Square and also felt the the deep longing of looking outside from the sidewalk in at families that appear so well put together and happy. 

The one thing that I can say for sure is that everywhere I go there seems to be a motherly figure out there waiting to help. 

So for me, Mother's Day isn't about my literal mother. It's about Sue and Starr seeing the kid with the gears spinning too fast to know what was best for him. It's about Shelly taking me out to buy clothes because the other kids at the boys home had parental visits. It's about Lois and Angie always knowing me better than I know myself and having the word to say what I need whether I want it or not. It's about Debbie giving me second and third chances and still seeing the best in me. It's about Robin showing that supportive smile and asking introspective questions and using my own head to help me. It's about Mary, my mother in law, having a lot of inside knowledge to share and always being supportive despite my worst mistakes. It's about Marlene from the grocery store where I used to work, giving tidbits of advice and standing in at my wedding. It's about friends like Jodi who can look at where I have come from and just know and support without any context. It's about Mrs. Peik, checking in on me more than 10 years after presiding over me. It's about Pastor Lisa imparting wisdom to us and being a friend to my wife and I. It's about Sandy wanting to make sure that I was always comfortable despite her many other distractions. More than anything, nowadays it is about the loving, nurturing, and confident person that is my wife.

Over the years, I've noticed a trend among the different places I go. No matter where I am or what company I am with, there is always that woman who sort of "becomes" that mother figure to me.

I think there is something naturally in every woman that leans out to others and wants to be that for people in need. Mother's Day is a day where I celebrate all of the great things that these many women have done in my life.

That being said, all of those women didn't need to be a mother to be celebrated. They simply looked at my case and took it upon themselves to be a mother to me. All of the women who cannot or have not had children also have the ability and longing to do the same thing.

So rather than make this simply a "Mother's Day" post, I am making this a thank you to women post because there has been several women who have played the motherly role for me in my life. Most of all I would like to shout out to my wife, my mother in law, and my foster mom for being three of the most stable women in my life and showing me what true compassion looks like. From a kid who can sometimes struggle with it, we do appreciate it. Even when we don't say it, please know we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment