Mobile Adsense

Friday, April 19, 2013

All My "Gay" Features

Being a boy who doesn't care about sports IMMEDIATELY ostracized me as a kid. I instead enjoyed things like art and music which most other guys simply didn't share interest to the same degree as myself. I tried to play sports in the traditional sense, and looking back now that I am older, I simply enjoy other sports like Snowboarding, Biking, Rock Climbing, etc. The problem growing up is that those aren't in the pandect of acceptable interests in school. I was labeled an outcast.

As part of that, when someone is cast out from the majority we adapt to survive. If you aren't accepted into the main group you assume to join a different one. For many people like myself it becomes a difficult transition, and there are always groups to reach out. Particularly because I enjoyed acting, art, movies, music, and other fine arts I was reached out to from the gay community while at the same time having the majority assimilate me into that group.

Here's the thing. Being homosexual means that you desire to have the body of a someone the same gender as you. People as a collective are still people and you can develop a relationship with whomever and whatever you like. I'm not starting a debate about choice or birth, I'm simply saying that homosexuality is desiring a person with the same anatomy as yourself. 

I found/find it extremely offensive that people thought I was gay because I enjoyed music and art. I'm not usually one to brag about artistic talent, but when I was a kid many people said I had a natural talent for it. I had two older brothers who routinely crushed me at every sport I tried, so I chose to stick with what I was good at. I liked music because it provided an escape from where I was and let my imagination take me to thoughts and places other than what I had known. I liked theater because it allowed me to be someone other than who I was, which in my case was a welcome relief. 

HERE'S THE POINT: Things that do NOT make you homosexual
  1. The way you dress 
  2. How well you do/do not understand fashion
  3. The way that you talk
  4. The way you move or gesture
  5. Interest or disinterest in sports or "manly" things
  6. Interest in theater and performing arts
  7. Being well spoken and enunciating
  8. Having more friends of the opposite gender than of your own
  9. Being artistic or musically inclined
  10. Having a close friend of the same gender that you confide in
  11. Not having an interest in the opposite sex (some people aren't interested at all in anything)
  12. Liking animals that are "cute" or small
  13. ANY OTHER STEREOTYPE USED TO LABEL SOMEONE
For the record: when I was a little kid I tried to walk in my mom's heels (1), I have a decent understanding of fashion and actually would really enjoy designing clothes (2), I have a higher pitched voice for a guy(3), some people said when I was growing up that I didn't have a "manly" walk (4), I was never much interested in classic sports (5), I was really into theater as a teen and was cast in a college play (6), I HATE when people use poor language (7), I had more friends that were girls and not girlfriends growing up than guys who would spend time with me (8), I draw-paint-write poems-write music-play:guitar-piano-drums-most brass instruments-most wood instruments (9), In high school my friend Eli was probably a better friend than anyone I knew and he knows more about me than most people (10), As a teen I didn't see a purpose to dating if I wasn't planning to marry anyone (11), and lastly I have always liked smaller dogs simply because they are easier to care for (12). Not one of those things makes me gay because I DO NOT PREFER MEN. 

Stop casting people out because they aren't like you. Stop pushing people into certain groups just because they like certain things.This is NOT just written to people who are not gay, but it is written to gay people who do the SAME THING! I was equally offended by gay people thinking I was gay because of these things as I was by people who were straight thinking them. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. HATE IS HATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment