Mobile Adsense

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Here's the Fee for Your Childhood

I am a video game enthusiast. I have always been and up until now I have always thought that I would be. I recall playing SMB/Duck Hunt on the original NES. I remember Paperboy, Jaws, Karate Kid, Sonic the Hedgehog, NBA Jam, Final Fantasy (the whole series), Paper Mario, Maro Kart, Smash Bros., Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Metal Gear, THPS, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, and all the other staples that have now been added to the pandect of what many console consumers have dubbed as "Classic" games.

As a by-product of being an avid game player, I naturally seek to own some of the most recent consoles and gaming devices simply because the games that release for them are fun to play and I have an "addiction." That said, I have very fond memories of getting a GameBoy from my parents the year it released. I remember opening an N64 for Christmas. I remember playing Sonic for the first time and sitting in my living room and playing NBA Jam until I was playing against people who could teleport across the screen and slam dunk if I didn't immediately steal the ball once they passed it in.

Part of the joy of gaming is that you can experience some things that you probably would never experience in real life. It's an escape from the daily grind and a way to relax every once in a while. Another part of that joy is to share a game with your friend because you enjoyed the game so much you want them to play too. The next generation of console gaming has completely missed the entire heritage that brings to the face of gaming. Microsoft and Sony were not existent as console gaming companies when I was a kid, so naturally I shouldn't expect them to understand the same way Nintendo or Sega does.

THE NEW GENERATION OF GAMING FROM MICROSOFT

Xbox One

Here is a list of features that are 100% useless from this console that the gaming community will not like.
1. DVR - we all are still paying for cable and probably a DVR box too - this is a waste of tech
2. "Upgraded" controller - nobody was complaining about the last one
3. "Upgraded" Kinect - Nobody cares about your heartbeat while gaming - people play dance games for fun but not for exercise
4. Required to download games to hard drive
             This is actually a two part problem. The first part is that there are several people who will get irritated with the idea that their disk is essentially useless unless they want to go to another machine. The problem that comes into play with that is that when you install the game on another console, your current console will "deactivate" until you insert the disk again - annoying. All of that said, the more concerning problem is this: Xbox plans to charge you a fee if you install a game on a console and intend to play with more than one Gamertag.
             This means if I take my own game (that I paid my own money for) and I decide to give it to a friend because he likes it and I have already beat the game to smithereens Xbox intends to charge my friend a fee to play this game on his own gamertag - because he didn't purchase the game. Well excuse me, but if I am paying $60 for a game I better have the right to do WHATEVER I want with a game.
5. Blu-Ray - not only should it have come standard with the 360, but it's already available on the 360s.
6. New "Architecture" - For the gaming community you are using fancy language to say "We want more of your money." I don't see a benefit to this new architecture because ALL of the benefits you are talking about have NOTHING to do with gaming, but I am sacrificing on the gaming end to get them - hence no backward compatibility.
7. The actual Design - it looks like a VHS player and it's as fat as an NES. Come on guys, really?

OPINIONS
I was skeptical of the original Xbox when it released because I have always known Microsoft to be a very money hungry company, charging you for licenses on software that you already purchased. I originally wasn't very interested in Sony releasing Playstation either, as Sony for the most part was in the world of electronics and movies. Ultimately I did end up owning both consoles, and both of the next gen and the gen after that. I owned PSone, PS2, and my father in law has a PS3 (essentially just a Blu-Ray player now). I have owned an Xbox and an Xbox 360. Additionally I have owned an N64, Gamecube, and a Wii.

I do not see a reason to purchase an Xbox One so they can simply slap me with more fees every time I want to play a game. I will not be using the "TV" features or the music features - I have an "iToy" and a DVR box that covers all of those functions already. I do however see the Xbox One as a HUGE stab at the heritage and culture of the gaming community.

Thus far the PS4 has not spoken word of any fees for playing a borrowed game on your own gamertag, however if any fee like that is released I will probably never upgrade and/or I will probably just upgrade a computer and illegally download all of my games and burn them because I WILL NOT give my hard earned money to people who are out of touch with their consumer base - regardless of industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment