Mobile Adsense

Thursday, June 27, 2013

How To Properly Debate Via Social Media and Public Forums

Many people debate topics and I am a person who really enjoys a good one. I like the idea of challenging my own thoughts with new information and reforming the way I see the world based on the overwhelming amount of information available. I know not all people share my zeal for this, but nonetheless, here I am.

I have noticed when I am on Facebook that often times people make arguments with the facade of being intelligent about the subject matter and/or having the ability to debate. This in turn leads me into the position of setting up and defending my position, naturally. As expected in any debate format, there are refutes to be given to any one point and subject that comes up, so naturally I roll with the punches, sometimes adjusting my beliefs when I concede they are correct and other times arguing my own side.

Here are some quick tips on debating (How to WIN debates) :

***Disclaimer*** Using these tips may cause people to not like you and/or think you are a jerk. C'est La Vie.

1) When you argue a point, always have some sort of verified evidence to back yourself. Studies done at colleges or by reputable and public sources are widely available on most topics. If using popular media sources, try to use sources from either side of the slant, as many are slanted toward one political affiliation. If you cannot, try to use something independent.

2) If you are joining a "debate" and have nothing to offer besides how you feel, you should simply state that using a simple phrase such as, "I feel like...."  (You cannot debate a feeling)

3) When evaluating the position of an opposing opinion or information, review it in the context of their own usage and your own. While they may not be applying it to YOUR opinion, they likely have systems of beliefs or points that are stemmed from this one, and you should be well equipped to move in that direction.

4) If you don't have anything to refute their argument, just concede. It's far less embarrassing to concede that you may be wrong than to be proven wrong. It also saves you a remote amount of power and dignity.

5) Avoid using derogatory language or belittling statements. It cheapens/weakens your argument, but will probably get a lot of likes on FB.

6) Don't fight questions with questions. If you don't have a good argument, then you don't have a good argument. There isn't any shame in not being able to back a point. It's simply bad form to reply to a question with another question. It doesn't solve anything and moves a productive debate into a hypothetical setting.

7) Redirecting a topic is acceptable once you have acknowledged and refuted a previous topic. You cannot simply ignore the previous argument and presume to be correct. This in effect actually projects a mutually agreed concession.

Now that I have equipped you to be a jerk, use with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment